Overcome Your Legal Obstacles
Learn More
"I help my clients improve their situations, take care of their families and overcome the obstacles that keep them from living better lives." - Justin C. Miller Esq.

How to get a copy of a deceased person's will

When a parent dies in Ohio, a child could be entitled to a portion of the deceased's estate. This is true even if the parent dies intestate, or without a will. If a house or other property was put into a child's name, that generally belongs to the child regardless of claims others make to it.

If an estate holder does have a will, anyone who was named as a beneficiary is entitled to see a copy of it. Beneficiaries are notified of the passing and the presence of a will by the estate's personal representative. Those who are not notified can still find out if a will was filed by asking the county court. After filing a petition, a person will be notified regardless of whether or not other family members are trying to conceal its presence.

Those who have questions about how to claim assets after a loved one passes may benefit from working with an attorney. An attorney may be able to help an individual find out whether a will exists and if that person was named in it. Legal counsel could also assist in filing a legal challenge to the will if there is reason to believe that it was not valid.

If a will is valid, a beneficiary should receive assets as stipulated by the terms. Beneficiaries may also receive assets that were left in a trust. However, if money is used to pay creditors or other expenses, that could reduce the size of a person's inheritance. If there was no valid will created, a person will receive an inheritance based on the laws of that state.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
We Will Answer Your Questions

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy